Sunday, June 21, 2009

“Fake News” assignments

 

Justification #1

            This past fall, the students in my College Prep Writing class were working on argument analysis papers.  Their task was to choose a speech, editorial, or essay and write a paper in which they discussed the argumentative techniques as well as rhetorical strategies used by the author.  About a week after I assigned the paper, we did a quick “check in” in class in which students shared with each other what argument they would be analyzing, how they thought they would do it, and what challenges they had encountered or anticipated encountering.  One student had selected Jonathan Swift’s “A Modest Proposal” for his argument.  He didn’t have much to say about it, so I pressed him a little and asked him what he thought so far.  It didn’t take too many questions before I realized that he had no idea that Swift’s argument that societal ills could be cured by eating children was not a literal argument.  He had no idea that “A Modest Proposal” was satire and didn’t pick up on it until I clued him in.  Similarly, about half of the students in my AP Language and Composition wrote a whole essay question analyzing a satirical argument as though it were literal.  So, it’s clear to me that students are not adept at identifying (and appreciating) satire.  From a literature teacher’s perspective, this is justification enough for teaching about Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show.  However, beyond just understanding satire so as a literary genre, I think it is important that students understand how satire works, why it is common, how it makes arguments, and why it is funny.  They will encounter satire in their lives, and the cultural literacy gained from a discussion of it is, I believe, as beneficial as the literary education.

 

Assignment #1

            First, we’ll watch an episode of The Daily Show (or part of one) to whet students’ appetites.  After it is over, we’ll discuss the following questions:

            --What about this is funny?

            --Why are those things funny?

            --What wasn’t funny?

            --Why not?

--What techniques does Stewart use in his humor (e.g. hyperbole, irony, deadpan, etc.)

--What assumptions does Stewart make about his audience?

 

            Next, we’ll take a look at some background on Satire.  Students will read a chapter from Writing: An Exercise in Rhetoric (it’s a book I used to use frequently in class—sorry I don’t have a bibliographic citation….it’s buried in a box packed away at school).  It gives some good background on different types of satire and common techniques used by satire.  Students will then try to identify these elements in the broadcast of TDS (from memory as best they can….I don’t want to spend too much time on this).  I’ll fill in gaps with examples they might not remember.

           

            Then, we’ll talk about the power of Satire to make an argument.  Students will read “A Modest Proposal” and an excerpt from William Hazlit’s “On the Want of Money”, paying attention to the argument made in each.  Students will then discuss these pieces as arguments and tease out how and why these authors use satire to make their arguments.

 

            Finally, students will try a bit of satire on their own.  Using the techniques studied and TDS as a model, students will pick a social issue they care about (could be a school/community, statewide, national, or international issue) and they will craft their own story for a Daily Show-esque broadcast.  Because their final product will be one segment in a ½ hour television show, they should keep it brief and tailor it to a particular viewing audience.  These may or may not be performed for the class (or recorded for the class to watch) depending on the make up of the class.

 

 

 

***Note for CI5472 audience—I realize that my justification for this assignment might be taking the easy way out, as it does not really address the questions raised in this week’s reading, but I do think this assignment is something I could use in my classes and that students really could use a more thorough discussion of satire.  I’d definitely consider following this up with more discussion about The Daily Show and its impact on public policy, elections, etc. 

 

 

Justification #2

            Thinking about Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly as humorists, as discussed in the “When Fake is More Real…” article was really eye opening for me.  In the interest of putting all of my cards on the table, I have to confess that I find just about everything Limbaugh or O’Reilly say to be despicable.  And I’ve never heard them call themselves comedians.  I think this title is too generous, as being a comedian implies that one is actually funny, but that’s a different issue.  I think lumping Limbaugh and O’Reilly in with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert presents some interesting questions that are important in being critical viewers/listeners of this information, especially when these voices are increasingly becoming players in the political scene (Rush Limbaugh is considered by many to be the voice of the Republican party, and Jon Stewart is, for many, a reasonable representative of liberal Democratic beliefs).  Having an understanding of these voices and their potential influences can help them to better participate in the democratic process. 

 

 

Assignment #2

 

            Students will listen to/watch clips from The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, The O’Reilly Factor, and Rush Limbaugh’s radio program.  As they are watching, students will record their reactions to the programs.  I will ask them to pay special attention to the techniques of each man and to not ignore the delivery of the messages as they are paying attention to the actual messages.  We’ll spend a day just watching these clips and then sharing our gut reactions to what we have seen.

 

            The next day, we will generate lists of similarities and differences among the four programs.  I imagine the differences will be obvious and numerous.  I will encourage students to consider also the things these programs have in common (beyond superficial statements like “They are very opinionated”).  Then we’ll spend some time discussing whether these four programs should even be classified as the same type of program.  If so, why?  If not, why not?  What difference does it make?  How should viewers approach these broadcasts?  I’ll encourage them to really move beyond their own biases (a challenge that I will have to deal with as well!) to discuss these in an academic forum.

 

           

            For our last day of discussion, we’ll consider some of the bigger questions here, like what influence media personalities such as these can have on audience’s perceptions of current events.  I think I’d like to conclude by having them do some sort of interview with someone they know who watches/listens to one of these programs, but I need to flesh this out a little more.  The last question I would like them to consider is “What is the value of this type of communication?”

 

**This one needs a little fleshing out, but I think the skeleton of questions could be a reasonable start…..

4 comments:

  1. Amy,
    Your lessons/activities are so well planned out, clearly the mark of an excellent teacher:) I think that using The Daily Show to emphasize satire is not the easy way out; it's another way for students to see satire/parody in a contemporary way (that is potentially much more relevant to their lives than "A Modest Proposal").

    My cooperating teacher taught "A Modest Proposal" and "The Flying Doctor" to show satire and farce and some students thought that "A Modest Proposal" was literal as well. I feel that satire is a tricky concept to teach because it's harder to show and describe without sarcasm or irony present (and if the students aren't aware that what they are reading is a satire, well then how will they pick up on the irony or sarcasm needed to make a piece a satire).

    I also think sharing gut reactions is a great idea, as long as the classroom is safe/comfortable. Since I'm new to the teaching thing, I think it would be difficult in some cases to have students be willing to share those gut feelings but I'm sure that your classroom is set up to allow for comfort and community:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    In regards to assignment #1, I think it's a great way to get students thinking about the material AND getting them on their feet. This benefits both the students with too much energy (serves the purpose of "release") and wakes the students zonked out on their desks. If you ever choose to implement this assignment, I DEFINITELY think you should have them act it out. I personally don't think students get the chance to perform / present in high school. It was a rude awakening for me when I had to present at least once in almost every class I took in undergraduate and graduate school.

    I think it's great that you'd give them "choice" in making something satirical. I feel that this freedom will make them more interested and make the assignment more meaningful.

    When I was working the Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" (my apologies for NOT underlining this play) I focused on farce and satire. I had students take a not-so-humorous situation and make it farcicle. I only wish I would have done this with satire as well. For satire, I only shows clips from SNL with Tina Fey playing Sarah Palin. If I ever teach that play again, or any other work that includes satire / farce, I definitely plan on stealing your assignment. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I really like your last assignment. When I think back on my younger days, my favorite assignments are the ones where we started out just discussing our gut reactions. However, my favorite part of the assignment is the interview of someone who watches/listens to one of the programs. It made me think that it would be really cool to have someone who is on a broadcast of some kind speak to the class. It might be hard to schedule someone, but I think it would be valuable to hear from their mouth how they set-up the broadcast to cater to the specific audience. However, an interview might even be better because the students then are in charge of deciding what effect this media has on it's audiences, just by looking at the viewers beliefs and opinions. Using your idea, students are doing the work themselves, as opposed to having the information told to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could also tie the second assignment in with some advertising critiques. What companies are sponsoring the show(s)? Why do you think they are sponsoring them? What message does this send to you about corporate interests?

    ReplyDelete